Saturday, August 13, 2011

Climbing the ladder

This is NOT a confrontation.
This is NOT hate mail.
This is merely an open letter. 
This is just something I've come to realize..

My new friend Syafika (fellow blogshop owner) was talking about how SOME (not all) established blogshop owners tend to refuse to reveal their "trade secrets" (Suppliers, mark ups & such).
I personally respect the right to withhold information to potential "rivals" but why get snarky?
I just don't understand..
Why would you NOT want to share?
Everybody has to start SOMEWHERE.
And though the defense of "I started at the bottom and had to claw my way up ALL BY MYSELF" may sound justifiable to your ears, it sounds petty to mine.
I, like you, had to grovel and plead to people to clink on my site.
I had be gracious to people who decided on what's hot & what's not.
To go out of my way to be in their good books.
And in the end, take the insult when they simply give you the snub- just when you think you're finally in.

It is hard.
And sometimes downright brutal..
When you're trying SO fucking hard but nothing seems to work out.
I am lucky.
I am fully aware of that..
To have a friend who has been in the online business for so long to take me under her wing.
To have friends who would brave the blistering hot weather just to help me handle booths and promote my brand.
And to have a boyfriend who would never let me quit- even when I feel like it's just too much.
THAT was what pulled me through.

If you have felt this..
This sting of being rejected.
Of being denied opportunities.
Of being kicked when you are down.
Why subject others to the same?

I have met people who I think will go places because of their openness to help each other..
And I personally think they are awesome.
(Maybe as awesome as I am! Tee-hee)
And we may be just starting out now, but all willows starts with a seed.



I had a blast at MMU today.
We may have difficulties now, but we'll find a way to be the Alphas.
I am sure of it!












PS: I guess this bitter truth also applies to organizers.
I'm simply not "cool" enough. 
YET.

7 Mystified People:

farahizat said...

yup, so true! even though I'm just a customer, other than those mentioned, it is quite annoying when they are selling sumthing, but didnt put any price at all at the caption. whenever we ask, they'll say 'I PM u'. y is it sooooo secret bout the price? *sigh~*

Reina Lum said...

Well, sometimes the seller themselves haven't figured out what price to place for their items..That's ok..

But it can also be used as a marketing strategy.. This is quite unethical, where they put a higher price on some customers then others, depending on who the customers are.. If the customer does not attempt to haggle or get discounts, that customer will have to pay more..
So that's unfair.

Unknown said...

Keep up your good work, arina. I am proud to know you not only as my co-counsel previously but also as a person who has determination to achieve success. Now it's time to show your 'ratuness' in this blogshop business ok :) You will always have my pray and faith

regards
zharif

scha roslan. said...

my name is being mentioned there! haha.
this post is sweet in a very weird way ;p ;p

Reina Lum said...

To Z,
Awwh! Thank you! And we've been together for so long, it's weird that you add the word "previously" next to co-counsel..

Syafika: Haha.. I know U love me coz I'm weird!

benazirjb said...

you know i will always support you!!

Reina Lum said...

Awwwh! Syg kamu Ben!