Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shovel in one hand, Hope in the other

Is it really taboo to dwell on one's mortality? I mean, should we just believe what we are told and just hope that heaven and hell exists? And that's where we'll all be when we die?

Have you ever tried to remember anything about yourself before you were born? I have. And it was empty. No feelings or vague memories. Just blankness. That's when a thought struck me, maybe when we die we'll just be gone. No afterlife, no reincarnation or any of that shit. We'll just cease to exist.

Have you ever wondered why the word 'afterlife' exists but not the word 'beforelife'? Isn't it supposed to be the same? we were not alive both of the time, but just because we feel now, we assume that we'll continue to feel, even after death. Do you know what that means? It's just the same as the concept of immortality -something that we humans have always craved for but will never have. We humans are afraid. Afraid of dieing and not feeling anymore. So we let ourselves believe that we'll continue to 'live' even after we die. It may be a good life in heaven or a bad one in hell, but it's still living. And this, my dear friends is why the concept of simply not existing anymore repels us humans.

As a muslim, I may be committing a great sin for over analysing this. I'm almost afraid that I'll be struck by lightning for just thinking about it. But I'm just.. curious.

Sometimes ceasing to exist is not such a bad thing.

0 Mystified People: