Friday, June 4, 2010

A lesser of 2 evils??

While downloading some of my maritime cases, I found this lil clip of one of Uganda's campaign to pass anti-gay laws;




Quite honestly, I've always had mixed feelings about this issue.
(Most of my muslim peers might be sneering at me right at this moment..)
But really, I cant help but notice how vulgar these people are while addressing the issue.
(And let's all be frank here, most Malaysians handle this issue just as badly as the Ugandans.)

They're introducing a new legislation that'll make being gay punishable by life imprisonment (if they are caught participating in gay activities) and even death (for serial offenders).
Plus, civilians must report to the authorities of known homosexuals or risk being imprisoned themselves.
This shall be the most severe punishment for being gay in the world.

Though I do understand that Uganda is a Christian state, and they believe that homosexuality is a sin..
The idea of killing another person based on his/her sexual preference is something that I cant fathom.
How is that different form killing based on a person's race or beliefs?

The fact that the law is being used to turn on these people's rights both saddens and scares me.
What is the line between fighting to abolish other's sins and making a sin yourself??

Though I fully realise that I shouldn't be the one to talk when it comes down to the issue of religion, I dare say that even Islam has thought it's followers not to hate those who are "not on the right path".

Instead we were thought to help those who need it and if our help is not well received, we should accept them as who they are and what they believe in and at least try to live together in peace.

Remember the harm principle people;
As long as they are not hurting you, why should you harm them?

Maybe one of the main reasons why I'm not pushing against gay rights is because some of my very bast friends are homosexuals.
And I find that some of them have more heart then any other self-righteous-society-conforming people I know.
When it comes down to it, homosexuals are not a bunch of gross savages as they have been painted out to be.
Maybe we should be more careful whom we accuse of being savages.
You might find that you're actually one yourself..









To be fair, even heterosexuals eat shit. (Evidence provided by Dan!)
It's called a fetish and is no way directly related to homosexuality.


P/S: Vanguard's report on this is wonderful. Watch it if you have the time.

0 Mystified People: